Monday, October 15, 2012

The McRib Keeps Getting Yanked From the Menu

Paul J. Richards / Getty Images
The McRib appears and disappears from the menu every year.

It appears that the McRib sandwich is not popular enough to remain permanently on the McDonald's menu. According to the article, "The McRib, as everyone knows, is McDonald's weird, secret weapon. It comes and goes, seemingly at random, taunting the barbecue pork sandwich's famously rabid fans. Last year, the McRib dropped in the latter half of December, for instance." In my opinion, I think McRib is quite delectable. I would think that it should remain on the menu. The McRib sandwich consists of ribs, onions, pickles, and barbecue sauce in between two long sesame buns. I especially enjoy the barbecue sauce that comes with the sandwich. Like Christmas, "the McRib functions as 'a great piece of buzzy news that surprises and delights, late in the year on the marketing calendar.'" I guess it keeps customers anticipating the time when McRib will appear again. In that case, it could be a good marketing strategy.

- Hanli Tjahyono

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never ate one, but my husband is waiting every year for it. If the McRib is so popular the company should keep it in the menu year around.

      Maria Alfaro

      Delete
  2. I've always been scared of the word Ribs and McDonalds being in the same sentence. But like Maria said, I know people who are always on the lookout for when it comes back. Maybe the following is strong enough to keep the McRib alive. I guess I'd have to try it to know.

    -Corinne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the McRib Sandwich and I also like that it's only on the menu towards the end of the year. I know it may sound a little... or maybe a lot of crazy but the McRib sandwich makes me think of Christmas and the holidays lol. To me, Christmas wouldn't be the same without a xmas tree, my family, gift giving, and the McRib sandwich :)
    -Nicole S

    ReplyDelete